Skip to main content

Tia


The door swings on its creaky hinge as me, my parents, and my brother walk into the pet hospital. I’m hit with a wave of wet dog, bird cage, and cat pee, desperately masked with several fruity smelling air fresheners. Two steps forward in and the smell of alcohol reminds us why we’re here. 

Tia squirms slightly in my arms, clearly reacting to the same smells. Smells that for a Border Collie are amplified ten-fold. I look down at her gentle face as it turns up to mine. I hold her in my arms, because the leash felt wrong. She’s wrapped in a white sheet. Something to keep her warm, something clean, something new and expensive, something to show that she was noble, something to keep the dirt off her precious fur when she’s laid to rest in the ravine under the apple tree.

I wonder if she knows why we’re here. I can’t tell if the light in her dark brown eyes is a question or a goodbye.

I remember carrying her like this when I had just become a teenager, I thought I was so strong. She fought me then, limbs flailing. She did everything she could to get back to the ground. Tia was a decent sized dog and she was heavy for a 12 year old. 5 years later, she’s still heavy, but I would hold her in my arms for days if it meant I didn’t have to go through with this. Her soft fur and brittle bones rest peacefully now, no fighting. 

She’s in so much pain. But she’s happy. 

She’s in so much pain. 

She’s alive, she’s family, and her fur is rich swaths of black, white and brown. Tia is the opposite of everything this place is. This place is too dark, too normal, and too gray to be her last memory. 

The doctor is gentle. He walks us back to a small room just beyond the lobby. The room has a counter, some cupboards, a sink, and a metal table. I lay her down on the table, she barely moves a muscle and sinks into the cold surface. She knows. 

The doctor explains sympathetically what’s going to happen. Even though we’re kind and smiling, he knows we’ll be sobbing like children in a mere minute or so.

“It’s just this needle right here.” With a gloved hand he casually raises a small syringe filled with orange fluid. “I’ll put it in her ankle and it will only take a few seconds to take effect.” I want to swat it out of his hand.

The doctor puts the syringe behind his back, “I’ll give you a moment to say goodbye.” He takes a step back into the corner of the room. 

We’re the reason she’s here. We’re paying him to do this. 

I take comfort in knowing he won’t do it until we’re ready. We could change our minds if we wanted. 

She’s in so much pain. 

I lean down next to Tia and place my hand just under her soft ear. She doesn’t turn to look at me. I don’t want to look her in the eyes. She knows. Is she mad? Does she feel betrayed?

I lean forward to look into her dark, kind eyes. Those eyes that say everything.

I’m inches away from her sweet face, so close she can tell me the truth. Gray hairs swirling speckle her face. A dry nose and floppy ears. Black lips that don’t hug her teeth like they used to. She flashes the white’s of her eyes as she looks over her shoulder towards the doctor, veiny and browning. Her breaths are so soft. She’s ready.

My chest burns, my head fills with pressure and brings me to my knees. Tears burn down my cheeks as I cup her face in my hands. I kiss her just above her eyes between the ears.

“I love you Tia. Thank you for everything, sweet girl.”

I watch the needle go in her ankle. She doesn’t even flinch. 

It only took seconds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Angel

Play this song softly with headphones while you read:  "Jacob and the Stone" by Emile Mosseri Tom lays quietly in his hospital bed. The cataracts took his sight completely over the last month or so. His stomach no longer accepts any water or food. His skin is frail as paper and his bones are light as air.  You’d think at a time like this Tom would be thinking about his adventurous past, or lost in the fears or hopes of his unknown future. And though Tom’s gut may have given up trying to get him to eat by now, it hadn’t quit giving him advice, and it says to him that he can’t venture too far in either direction or he may never come back.  Tom was blissfully lost in the now. Tom had been wandering here for a while now. You see, losing his sight opened up a whole new world to him. A world where sounds, smells and touch filled the void of his sight. For the past minute Tom has been listening to the shuffle of the sheets getting tucked around him. In the quiet of the room, there i

The Wily Wealthy Man and His Marvelous Mackerel Marvin

I really didn’t expect she would.  She did. … My pet fish, Marvin, isn’t someone I introduce people to until I think they’re ready. I wasn’t always this way. When I first got him and still had that naive glow in my eye, I was eager to show Marvin off to anyone who showed the slightest interest, or frankly, even those who showed no interest at all. I’ve since learned to wait.  Marvin is different from most fish. I found him on a voyage many years ago to the Marsupial Islands.  My crew and I were floating just beyond the shore. We had spent the day on the island and were now returning to our ship. Moonlight lit the beach turning the sand cold and blue. Food and water had become sparse. We had scoured much of the island, and still didn’t have enough supplies for our return journey. That’s when Marvin appeared.  My wool trousers were soaked and full of wet sand, weighing several pounds more than they did before I pushed our wooden dinghy into the waves. As soon as I clamored and sloshed in

Seldom Tasted

I look too handsome for my books And scare my common friends with looks. The lover stunned by obvious goods  Will soon be lost in darker woods. The gaze that’s quick and can’t contain — The “care” drones on, I wish it gone. The traveler quits before the end And leaves me waiting at the bend Of rarely found gardens of good — Fated fruits misunderstood. Though kind and silent I will stay, “Please go with me,” I think to say. Seldom tasted best of all — The place where God and children call. I sit alone in company  With only me who waits to see. While in this quiet sacred grove I pluck a treasured yellowed rose; I smell the fragrance oh so sweet, Remove the shoes from off my feet. Wash in waters clean and clear, The gentle flow is all I hear. Though none but me awaits me here — I feel no doubt, no shame, no fear. For good remains the garden grove  For anyone to come behold.